noun, plural bus·bies.
- a tall fur hat with a baglike ornament hanging from the top over the right side.
- the bearskin hat worn by certain British guardsmen.
noun plural -bies
- a tall fur helmet with a bag hanging from the top to the right side, worn by certain soldiers, usually hussars, as in the British Army
- (not in official usage) another name for bearskin (def. 2)
- Sir Matthew, known as Matt . 1909–94, British footballer. He managed Manchester United (1946–69)
“fur hat worn by hussars on parade,” 1807, earlier “a kind of bushy, tall wig” (1764), of unknown origin, though it is both a place name and a surname in England. Related: Busbied.