- a chief of an Indian clan or tribe in Mexico and the West Indies.
- (in Spain and Latin America) a political boss on a local level.
- (in the Philippines) a prominent landowner.
- any of several black and red or black and yellow orioles of the American tropics that construct long, pendent nests.
- a Native American chief in a Spanish-speaking region
- (esp in Spanish America) a local political boss
- any of various tropical American songbirds of the genus Cacicus and related genera: family Icteridae (American orioles)