- a person or thing that calls.
- a person who makes a short visit.
- Dance. a person who directs the movements of dancers, as at a hoedown or square dance, by calling out the successive figures as the music plays.
adjective Scot. and North England.
- (of fruit, fish, vegetables, etc.) fresh; recently picked or caught.
- a person or thing that calls, esp a person who makes a brief visit
- Australian a racing commentator
- (of food, esp fish) fresh
- coola caller breeze
c.1500, “one who proclaims,” agent noun from call (v.). Meaning “one who announces step changes at a dance” is recorded from 1882; “one who places a telephone call,” 1898. Meaning “a social visitor” is attested from 1786.