- immature or inexperienced: a callow youth.
- (of a young bird) featherless; unfledged.
- a recently hatched worker ant.
- lacking experience of life; immature
- rare (of a young bird) unfledged and usually lacking feathers
- Simon. born 1949, British actor and theatre director
Old English calu “bare, bald,” probably from West Germanic *kalwaz (cf. Middle Dutch calu, Dutch kaal, Old High German kalo, German Kahl), perhaps from Latin or Celtic. From young birds with no feathers, meaning extended to any young inexperienced thing or creature (1570s). Apparently not from Latin calvus “bald.”