noun, plural car·goes, car·gos.
- the lading or freight of a ship, airplane, etc.
- cargos, pants or shorts having several cargo pockets to hold bulky gear and small items.
- of or denoting a style of pants or shorts with cargo pockets.
noun plural -goes or -gos
- goods carried by a ship, aircraft, or other vehicle; freight
- (as modifier)a cargo vessel
- any loadthe train pulled in with its cargo of new arrivals
1650s, “freight loaded on a ship,” from Spanish cargo “burden,” from cargar “to load, impose taxes,” from Late Latin carricare “to load on a cart” (see charge (v.)). South Pacific cargo cult is from 1949. Cargo pants attested from 1977.