- a shrill, whistlelike sound or loud raucous shout made to express disapproval at a theater, meeting, etc.
- an instrument for producing such a sound.
verb (used without object)
- to sound catcalls.
verb (used with object)
- to express disapproval of by catcalls.
- a shrill whistle or cry expressing disapproval, as at a public meeting, etc
- to utter such a call (at); deride with catcalls
1650s, a type of noisemaker used to express dissatisfaction in play-houses, from cat (n.) + call (n.); presumably because it sounded like an angry cat. As a verb, attested from 1734.