noun (sometimes lowercase)
- Also called Cesarean section, C-section. an operation by which a fetus is taken from the uterus by cutting through the walls of the abdomen and uterus.
- of or relating to a Cesarean.
- Caesarean(def 1).
- US variant spellings of Caesarean
- An incision through the abdominal wall and uterus, so as to deliver a fetus.cesarean operation
- Of or relating to a cesarean section.
- A cesarean section.
- A surgical incision through the abdominal wall and uterus, performed to deliver a fetus.
Childbirth by surgical removal of the fetus through an incision made in the wall of the abdomen and in the uterus, usually used as an alternative when natural delivery through the vagina is considered risky. The number of Cesarean sections in the United States has increased sharply in recent years, causing concern among patients, surgeons, and insurers.