noun Pinyin, Wade-Giles.
- a city in and the capital of Hunan province, in SE China.
- Pinyin, Wade-Giles. a province in S China. 81,274 sq. mi. (210,500 sq. km). Capital: Changsha.
- Also Hu·nam [hoo-nahm] /ˈhuˈnɑm/. Chinese Cookery. a style of cooking from this province, characterized especially by the use of hot peppers.
- a port in SE China, capital of Hunan province, on the Xiang River. Pop: 2 051 000 (2005 est)
- a province of S China, between the Yangtze River and the Nan Ling Mountains: drained chiefly by the Xiang and Yüan Rivers; valuable mineral resources. Capital: Changsha. Pop: 66 630 000 (2003 est). Area: 210 500 sq km (82 095 sq miles)
Chinese province, literally “south of the lake” (Lake Dongting), from hu “lake” + nan “south.”