- Classical Mythology. the ferryman who conveyed the souls of the dead across the Styx.
- (usually used ironically) any ferryman.
- Astronomy. the natural satellite of Pluto, discovered in 1978.
- Greek myth the ferryman who brought the dead across the rivers Styx or Acheron to Hades
- the only known satellite of Pluto, discovered in 1978
ferryman of the dead over the river Styx, from Greek Kharon, of unknown origin.
- The largest of Pluto’s three moons. Charon is just over half Pluto’s size and orbits it so closely that it was not discovered as a distinct body until 1978. Although Pluto is covered with methane ice, Charon appears to be covered with water ice.