verb (used with object), clas·si·fied, clas·si·fy·ing.
- to arrange or organize by classes; order according to class.
- to assign a classification to (information, a document, etc.).Compare classification(def 5).
- to limit the availability of (information, a document, etc.) to authorized persons.
verb -fies, -fying or -fied (tr)
- to arrange or order by classes; categorize
- government to declare (information, documents, etc) of possible aid to an enemy and therefore not available to people outside a restricted group
1782, from French classifier, from classe (see class (n.)) + -fier (see -fy). Related: Classified; classifying.