Columbus [kuh-luhm-buh s] noun
- ChristopherSp. Cristóbal ColónIt. Cristoforo Colombo, 1446?–1506, Italian navigator in Spanish service: traditionally considered the discoverer of America 1492.
- a city in and the capital of Ohio, in the central part.
- a city in W Georgia.
- a city in central Indiana.
- a city in E Mississippi.
- a city in E Nebraska.
British Dictionary definitions for christopher columbus Columbus 1 noun
- a city in central Ohio: the state capital. Pop: 728 432 (2003 est)
- a city in W Georgia, on the Chattahoochee River. Pop: 185 702 (2003 est)
Columbus 2 noun
- Christopher. Spanish name Cristóbal Colón, Italian name Cristoforo Colombo. 1451–1506, Italian navigator and explorer in the service of Spain, who discovered the New World (1492)
Word Origin and History for christopher columbus Columbus
his name is Latinized from his native Italian Cristoforo Colombo, in Spanish Christobal Colon.
America was discovered accidentally by a great seaman who was looking for something else, and most of the exploration for the next fifty years was done in the hope of getting through or around it. [S.E. Morison, “The Oxford History of the United States,” 1965] christopher columbus in Culture Columbus
Capital of Ohio.