- a person or thing that .
- Anatomy. a muscle that some part of the body.
- Surgery. an instrument for a part of the body.
- a pump or other machine for reducing volume and increasing pressure of gases in order to condense the gases, drive pneumatically powered machinery, etc.
- Electronics. a transducer that produces an output with a range of voltages whose ratio is smaller than that of the range of the input signal.Compare .
- any reciprocating or rotating device that compresses a gas
- the part of a gas turbine that compresses the air before it enters the combustion chambers
- any muscle that causes compression of any part or structure
- a medical instrument for holding down a part of the body
- an electronic device for reducing the variation in signal amplitude in a transmission systemCompare ,
1839, from Latin compressor, agent noun from comprimere (see (v.)). As a type of surgical instrument, from 1870. As short for air compressor, from 1874.
- A muscle that causes compression of a structure upon contraction.