- courteous and gracious; friendly; warm: a cordial reception.
- invigorating the heart; stimulating.
- sincere; heartfelt: a cordial dislike.
- Archaic. of or relating to the heart.
- a strong, sweetened, aromatic alcoholic liquor; liqueur.
- a stimulating medicine.
- anything that invigorates or exhilarates.
- warm and friendlya cordial greeting
- giving heart; stimulating
- a drink with a fruit base, usually sold in concentrated form and diluted with water before being drunklime cordial
- another word for
late 14c., “of the heart,” from Middle French cordial, from Medieval Latin cordialis “of or for the heart,” from Latin cor (genitive cordis) “heart” (see ). Meaning “heartfelt, from the heart” is mid-15c. The noun is late 14c., originally “medicine, food, or drink that stimulates the heart.” Related: Cordiality.