- Biology. the fertilization of an organism by the fusion of an egg from one individual with a sperm or male gamete from a different individual.
- Botany. fertilization of the flower of one plant by a gamete from the flower of a closely related plant (opposed to self-fertilization).
- (not in technical use) cross-pollination.
- interaction or interchange, as between two or more cultures, fields of activity or knowledge, or the like, that is mutually beneficial and productive: a cross-fertilization of scientific and technical disciplines.
- fertilization by the fusion of male and female gametes from different individuals of the same speciesCompare self-fertilization
- The fertilization that occurs when the nucleus of a male sex cell from one individual joins with the nucleus of a female sex cell from another individual. In plants, cross-pollination is an example of cross-fertilization. Also called allogamy Compare self-fertilization.