- an obsolete photographic process, invented in 1839, in which a picture made on a silver surface sensitized with iodine was developed by exposure to mercury vapor.
- a picture made by this process.
verb (used with object), da·guerre·o·typed, da·guerre·o·typ·ing.
- to photograph by this process.
- one of the earliest photographic processes, in which the image was produced on iodine-sensitized silver and developed in mercury vapour
- a photograph formed by this process
1839, from French daguerreotype, coined from name of inventor, Louis Daguerre (1789-1851) + -type (see type (n.)).