verb (used with object), in·ten·si·fied, in·ten·si·fy·ing.
- to make intense or more intense.
- to make more acute; strengthen or sharpen.
- Photography. to increase the density and contrast of (a negative) chemically.
verb (used without object), in·ten·si·fied, in·ten·si·fy·ing.
- to become intense or more intense.
verb -fies, -fying or -fied
- to make or become intense or more intense
- (tr) to increase the density of (a photographic film or plate)
1817, from intense + -ify, first attested in Coleridge, in place of intend, which he said no longer was felt as connected with intense. Middle English used intensen (v.) “to increase (something), strengthen, intensify,” early 15c. Related: Intensified; intensifying.