- the recording or an entry of debt in an account.
- that which is entered in an account as a debt; a recorded item of debt.
- any entry or the total shown on the debit side.
- the left-hand side of an account on which such entries are made (opposed to credit).
- an undesirable or disadvantageous feature.
verb (used with object)
- to charge with a debt: The store debited her account for the purchase.
- to charge as a debt: The store debited the purchase to her account.
- Bookkeeping. to enter upon the debit side of an account.
- acknowledgment of a sum owing by entry on the left side of an account
- the left side of an account
- an entry on this side
- the total of such entries
- (as modifier)a debit balance Compare credit (def. 10)
verb -its, -iting or -ited
- to record (an item) as a debit in an account
- to charge (a person or his account) with a debtCompare credit (def. 17)
mid-15c., from Middle French debet or directly from Latin debitum “thing owed, that which is owing,” neuter past participle of debere “to owe” (see debt). As a verb from 1680s. Debit card is attested from 1975.