- the act or process of decreasing; gradual reduction.
- the amount lost by reduction.
- Mathematics. a negative increment.
- Physics. the ratio of amplitudes of a damped harmonic motion in the course of two successive oscillations.
- the act of decreasing; diminution
- maths a negative increment
- physics a measure of the damping of an oscillator, expressed by the ratio of the amplitude of a cycle to its amplitude after one period
- (of spectra) a sequence of related spectrum lines decaying in intensity, e.g. Balmer decay
1620s, from Latin decrementum “diminution,” from stem of decrescere (see decrease).