- no longer in effect or use; not operating or functioning: a defunct law; a defunct organization.
- no longer in existence; dead; extinct: a defunct person; a defunct tribe of Indians.
- the defunct, the dead person referred to: the survivors of the defunct.
- no longer living; dead or extinct
- no longer operative or valid
1590s, from Old French defunct (14c., Modern French defunt) or directly from Latin defunctus “dead,” literally “off-duty,” from past participle of defungi “to discharge, finish,” from de- “off, completely” (see de-) + fungi “perform or discharge duty,” from PIE root *bheug- (2) “to enjoy” (see brook (v.)).