- a group or body of delegates: Our club sent a delegation to the rally.
- the body of delegates chosen to represent a political unit, as a state, in an assembly: the New Jersey delegation in Congress.
- the act of delegating.
- the state of being delegated.
- a person or group chosen to represent another or others
- the act of delegating or state of being delegated
- US politics all the members of Congress from one state
1610s, “action of delegating” (earlier in this sense was delegacie, mid-15c.); perhaps a native formation, perhaps from French délégation, or directly from Latin delegationem (nominative delegatio) “assignment, delegation,” noun of action from past participle stem of delegare (see delegate). Meaning “persons sent by commission” is from 1818; meaning “a state’s elected representatives, taken collectively,” is U.S. political usage from 1820s.