- one of the administrative divisions of ancient Attica and of modern Greece.
- Biology. a local population of organisms of the same kind, especially one in which the genetic mix is similar throughout the group.
- (in preclassical Greece) the territory inhabited by a tribe
- (in ancient Attica) a geographical unit of local government
- biology a group of individuals within a species that possess particular characteristics of cytology, genetics, etc
- A small, locally interbreeding group of organisms within a larger population. Demes are isolated reproductively from other members of their species, although the isolation may only be partial and is not necessarily permanent. Because they share a somewhat restricted gene pool, members of a deme generally differ morphologically to some degree from members of other demes. See also population.