- an advocate of democracy.
- a person who believes in the political or social equality of all people.
- (initial capital letter) Politics.
- a member of the Democratic Party.
- a member of the Democratic-Republican Party.
- Also called democrat wagon. a high, lightweight, horse-drawn wagon, usually having two seats.
- Mount, a mountain in central Colorado, in the Park Range of the Rocky Mountains. 14,148 feet (4315 meters).
- an advocate of democracy; adherent of democratic principles
- a member or supporter of a democratic party or movement
- (in the US) a member or supporter of the Democratic Party
1790, “adherent of democracy,” with reference to France, from French démocrate (18c., opposed to aristocrate), back-formation from démocratie (see democracy); revived in U.S. as a political party affiliation 1798, with a capital D. As a shortening of this, Demo (1793) is older than Dem (c.1840).
A member of the Democratic party.