noun, plural de·pend·en·cies.
- the state of being dependent; dependence.
- something dependent or subordinate; appurtenance.
- an outbuilding or annex.
- a subject territory that is not an integral part of the ruling country.
noun plural -cies
- a territory subject to a state on which it does not border
- a dependent or subordinate person or thing
- psychol overreliance by a person on another person or on a drug, etc
- another word for dependence
1590s (adj.), 1610s (n.); see dependent + -cy. Originally also dependancy, on the French model, but the Latinate form gradually pushed this into disuse; see -ance. Meaning “territory subordinate to another nation” is recorded from 1680s.