< /ˌdaɪ əˈsti mə tə/.
- Cell Biology. the modified protoplasm at the equator of a cell, existing before mitotic division.
- Dentistry. a space between two teeth, especially a space between a canine and an incisor of the upper jaw into which a lower canine occludes.
noun plural -mata (-mətə)
- an abnormal space, fissure, or cleft in a bodily organ or part
- a gap between the teeth
n. pl. di•a•ste•ma•ta (-mə-tə)
- A fissure or abnormal opening in a part, especially when congenital.
- A gap or space between two adjacent teeth in the same dental arch.