- the act or manner of dictating for reproduction in writing.
- the act or manner of transcribing words uttered by another.
- words that are dictated or that are reproduced from dictation.
- the playing or singing of music to be notated by a listener, especially as a technique of training the ear.
- music notated from dictation.
- the act of commanding arbitrarily.
- something commanded.
- the act of dictating material to be recorded or taken down in writing
- the material dictated
- authoritative commands or the act of giving them
1650s, from Late Latin dictationem (nominative dictatio), noun of action from past participle stem of dictare (see dictate (v.)).