- an absence of comfort or ease; uneasiness, hardship, or mild pain.
- anything that is disturbing to or interferes with comfort.
verb (used with object)
- to disturb the comfort or happiness of; make uncomfortable or uneasy.
- archaic tending to deprive of mental or physical ease or comfort
- an inconvenience, distress, or mild pain
- something that disturbs or deprives of ease
- (tr) to make uncomfortable or uneasy
c.1300, “to deprive of courage,” from Old French desconforter; see discomfort (n.). Related: Discomforted; discomforting.