- capable of being dispensed with or done without; not necessary or essential.
- capable of being dispensed or administered: The money is not dispensable at present.
- Roman Catholic Church. capable of being permitted or forgiven, as an offense or sin.
- not essential; expendable
- capable of being distributed
- (of a law, vow, etc) able to be relaxed
1530s, “subject to dispensation,” from Medieval Latin dispensabilis, from dispensare (see dispense). Meaning “that can be done without” is from 1640s. Related: Dispensability.
- Capable of being dispensed, administered, or distributed. Used of a drug.