noun, plural dy·nas·ties.
- a sequence of rulers from the same family, stock, or group: the Ming dynasty.
- the rule of such a sequence.
- a series of members of a family who are distinguished for their success, wealth, etc.
noun plural -ties
- a sequence of hereditary rulersan Egyptian dynasty
- any sequence of powerful leaders of the same familythe Kennedy dynasty
mid-15c. (earlier dynastia, late 14c.), from Middle French dynastie and directly from Late Latin dynastia, from Greek dynasteia “power, lordship, sovereignty,” from dynastes “ruler, chief,” from dynasthai “have power.”