- humility forced upon someone, often under embarrassing conditions; humiliation.
- Obsolete. a pie made of the viscera and other inferior parts of deer or the like.
- eat humble pie, to be forced to apologize humbly; suffer humiliation: He had to eat humble pie and publicly admit his error.
- (formerly) a pie made from the heart, entrails, etc, of a deer
- eat humble pie to behave or be forced to behave humbly; be humiliated
To be forced to acknowledge one’s deficiencies or errors: “Professor Norris had to eat humble pie when the reviewers pointed out numerous factual errors in his book.” Humble pie refers to a dish originally made from the innards of a deer.