- (of a man or boy) having traits, tastes, habits, etc., traditionally considered feminine, as softness or delicacy.
- characterized by excessive softness, delicacy, self-indulgence, etc.: effeminate luxury.
verb (used with or without object), ef·fem·i·nat·ed, ef·fem·i·nat·ing.
- to make or become effeminate.
- (of a man or boy) displaying characteristics regarded as typical of a woman; not manly
- lacking firmness or vigouran effeminate piece of writing
early 15c., from Latin effeminatus “womanish, effeminate,” past participle of effeminare “make a woman of,” from ex- “out” (see ex-) + femina “woman” (see feminine). Rarely used without reproach. Related: Effeminately.