- the shell of a bird’s egg, consisting of keratin fibers and calcite crystals.
- a pale yellowish-white color.
- rather bulky paper having a slightly rough finish.
- like an eggshell, as in thinness and delicacy; very brittle; fragile.
- being pale yellowish-white in color.
- having little or no gloss: eggshell white paint.
- the hard porous protective outer layer of a bird’s egg, consisting of calcite and protein
- a yellowish-white colour
- a type of paper with a slightly rough finish
- (modifier) (of paint) having a very slight sheenan eggshell finish
- walk on eggshells to be very cautious or diplomatic for fear of upsetting someone
- of a yellowish-white coloureggshell paint
early 15c., from egg (n.) + shell (n.). Earlier ay-schelle (c.1300). Emblematic of “thin and delicate” from 1835; as a color term, from 1894. The figure of treading on eggshells “to move cautiously” is attested by 1734.