- the act or an instance of going, especially from an enclosed place.
- a means or place of going out; an exit.
- the right or permission to go out.
- Astronomy. emersion(def 1).
verb (used without object)
- to go out; emerge.
- Also called: egression the act of going or coming out; emergence
- a way out, such as a path; exit
- the right or permission to go out or depart
- astronomy another name for emersion (def. 2)
verb (ɪˈɡrɛs) (intr)
- to go forth; issue
1530s, from Latin egressus “a going out,” noun use of past participle of egredi “go out,” from ex- “out” (see ex-) + -gredi, comb. form of gradi “step, go” (see grade). Perhaps a back-formation from egression (early 15c.).