noun, plural eight·ies.
- a cardinal number, ten times eight.
- a symbol for this number, as 80 or LXXX.
- a set of this many persons or things.
- eighties, the numbers, years, degrees, or the like, from 80 through 89, as in referring to numbered streets, indicating the years of a lifetime or of a century, or degrees of temperature.
- amounting to 80 in number.
noun plural -ies
- the cardinal number that is the product of ten and eightSee also number (def. 1)
- a numeral, 80, LXXX, etc, representing this number
- (plural) the numbers 80–89, esp a person’s age or the year of a particular century
- the amount or quantity that is eight times as big as ten
- something represented by, representing, or consisting of 80 units
- amounting to eightyeighty pages of nonsense
- (as pronoun)eighty are expected