- an act or instance of elaborating.
- the state of being elaborated; elaborateness.
- something that is elaborated.
- Psychiatry. an unconscious process of expanding and embellishing a detail, especially while recalling and describing a representation in a dream so that latent content of the dream is brought into a logical and comprehensible order.
1570s, in a physiological sense relating to tissue development, from Late Latin elaborationem (nominative elaboratio), noun of action from past participle stem of elaborare “work out, produce by labor,” from ex- “out” (see ex-) + laborare “to labor” (see labor (v.)).
- The process of working out in detail by labor and study.
- The mental process occurring partly during dreaming and partly during the recalling or telling of a dream, by means of which the latent content of the dream is brought into increasingly more coherent and logical order, resulting in the manifest content of the dream.