- pertaining to or dealing with elements, rudiments, or first principles: an elementary grammar.
- of or relating to an elementary school: elementary teachers.
- of the nature of an ultimate constituent; simple or uncompounded.
- pertaining to the four elements, earth, water, air, and fire, or to the great forces of nature; elemental.
- Chemistry. of or noting one or more elements.
- not difficult; simple; rudimentary
- of or concerned with the first principles of a subject; introductory or fundamental
- maths (of a function) having the form of an algebraic, exponential, trigonometric, or a logarithmic function, or any combination of these
- chem another word for elemental (def. 5)
late 14c., “having the nature of one of the four elements,” from Middle French elementaire and directly from Latin elementarius, from elementum (see element). Meaning “rudimentary” is from 1540s; meaning “simple” is from 1620s. Elementary school is 1841.