- having or exercising the power of fluent, forceful, and appropriate speech: an eloquent orator.
- characterized by forceful and appropriate expression: an eloquent speech.
- movingly expressive: looks eloquent of disgust.
- (of speech, writing, etc) characterized by fluency and persuasiveness
- visibly or vividly expressive, as of an emotionan eloquent yawn
late 14c., from Old French eloquent, from Latin eloquentem (nominative eloquens), present participle of eloqui “to speak out” (see eloquence). Related: Eloquently.