- eluding or failing to allow for or accommodate a clear perception or complete mental grasp; hard to express or define: an elusive concept.
- cleverly or skillfully evasive: a fish too elusive to catch.
- difficult to find: hoping that elusive donors will finally contribute.
- difficult to catchan elusive thief
- preferring or living in solitude and anonymity
- difficult to rememberan elusive thought
1719, from Latin elus-, past participle stem of eludere (see elude) + -ive. Related: Elusiveness.