verb (used with object)
- to beautify by or as if by ornamentation; ornament; adorn.
- to enhance (a statement or narrative) with fictitious additions.
- to improve or beautify by adding detail or ornament; adorn
- to make (a story) more interesting by adding detail
- to provide (a melody, part, etc) with ornamentsSee ornament (def. 5)
mid-14c., “to render beautiful,” from Old French embelliss-, stem of embellir “make beautiful, ornament,” from em- (see en- (1)) + bel “beautiful,” from Latin bellus (see bene-). Meaning “dress up (a narration) with fictitious matter” is from mid-15c. Related: Embellished; embellishing.