- (in fortification) an opening, as a loophole or crenel, through which missiles may be discharged.
- Architecture. a splayed enlargement of a door or window toward the inner face of a wall.
- Dentistry. the space between adjacent teeth.
- fortifications an opening or indentation, as in a battlement, for shooting through
- an opening forming a door or window, having splayed sides that increase the width of the opening in the interior
1702, from French embrasure (16c.), from Old French embraser “to cut at a slant, make a groove or furrow in a door or window,” from en- “in” (see en- (1)) + braser “to cut at a slant.”
- The sloped valley between two teeth.