verb (used with object)
- to give power or authority to; authorize, especially by legal or official means: I empowered my agent to make the deal for me. The local ordinance empowers the board of health to close unsanitary restaurants.
- to enable or permit: Wealth empowered him to live a comfortable life.
- the giving or delegation of power or authority; authorization
- the giving of an ability; enablement or permission
- (in South Africa) a policy of providing special opportunities in employment, training, etc for Black people and others disadvantaged under apartheid
- to give or delegate power or authority to; authorize
- to give ability to; enable or permit