verb (used with object)
- to form a circle about; encircle; surround: He built a moat to encompass the castle.
- to enclose; envelop: The folds of a great cloak encompassed her person.
- to include comprehensively: a work that encompasses the entire range of the world’s religious beliefs.
- Obsolete. to outwit.
- to enclose within a circle; surround
- to bring about; cause to happen; contrivehe encompassed the enemy’s ruin
- to include entirely or comprehensivelythis book encompasses the whole range of knowledge