verb (used with object), en·cour·aged, en·cour·ag·ing.
- to inspire with courage, spirit, or confidence: His coach encouraged him throughout the marathon race to keep on running.
- to stimulate by assistance, approval, etc.: One of the chief duties of a teacher is to encourage students.
- to promote, advance, or foster: Poverty often encourages crime.
- to inspire (someone) with the courage or confidence (to do something)
- to stimulate (something or someone to do something) by approval or help; support