- of or relating to a bishop: episcopal authority.
- based on or recognizing a governing order of bishops: an episcopal hierarchy.
- (initial capital letter) designating the Anglican Church or some branch of it, as the Episcopal Church in America.
- (initial capital letter) Informal. an Episcopalian.
- of, denoting, governed by, or relating to a bishop or bishops
- belonging to or denoting the Episcopal Church
mid-15c., from Middle French épiscopal (14c.), from Late Latin episcopalis, from Latin episcopus “an overseer” (see bishop). Reference to a church governed by bishops is 1752. With a capital E-, the ordinary designation of the Anglican church in the U.S. and Scotland.