- Horology. the portion of a watch or clock that measures beats and controls the speed of the going train.Compare , , .
- a mechanism for regulating the motion of a typewriter carriage, consisting of pawls and a toothed wheel or rack.
- a mechanism in a piano that causes a hammer to fall back into rest position immediately after striking a string.
- an act of .
- Archaic. a way of ; outlet.
- horology a mechanism consisting of an escape wheel and anchor, used in timepieces to provide periodic impulses to the pendulum or balance
- any similar mechanism that regulates movement, usually consisting of toothed wheels engaged by rocking levers
- (in a piano) the mechanism that allows the hammer to clear the string after striking, so that the string can vibrate
- an overflow channel
- rare an act or means of escaping