- the acceptance of all things and events as inevitable; submission to fate: Her fatalism helped her to face death with stoic calm.
- Philosophy. the doctrine that all events are subject to fate or inevitable predetermination.
- the philosophical doctrine that all events are predetermined so that man is powerless to alter his destiny
- the acceptance of and submission to this doctrine
- a lack of effort or action in the face of difficulty
The belief that events are determined by an impersonal fate and cannot be changed by human beings. Fatalism is a form of determinism.