- an advocate of federalism.
- (initial capital letter) U.S. History. a member or supporter of the Federalist party.
- Also fed·er·al·is·tic. of federalism or the Federalists.
- a supporter or member of the Federalist party
adjective Also: Federal’istic
- characteristic of the Federalists
“member or supporter of the Federal party in U.S. politics,” originally of supporters of the Philadelphia constitution, 1787, American English, from federal + -ist. General sense of “one who supports federal union” is from 1792.