- belonging or pertaining to the cat family, Felidae.
- catlike; characteristic of animals of the cat family: a feline tread.
- sly, stealthy, or treacherous.
- an animal of the cat family.
- of, relating to, or belonging to the Felidae, a family of predatory mammals, including cats, lions, leopards, and cheetahs, typically having a round head and retractile claws: order Carnivora (carnivores)
- resembling or suggestive of a cat, esp in stealth or grace
noun Also: felid (ˈfiːlɪd)
- any animal belonging to the family Felidae; a cat
1680s, from Late Latin felinus “of or belonging to a cat,” from Latin feles (genitive felis) “cat, wild cat, marten,” of uncertain origin. As a noun, from 1861.
- Characteristic of or resembling felids.