noun, plural fe·nes·trae [fi-nes-tree] /fɪˈnɛs tri/.
- Anatomy, Zoology. a small opening or perforation, as in a bone, especially between the middle and inner ear.
- Entomology. a transparent spot in an otherwise opaque surface, as in the wings of certain butterflies and moths.
- Architecture. a windowlike opening.
noun plural -trae (-triː)
- biology a small opening in or between bones, esp one of the openings between the middle and inner ears
- zoology a transparent marking or spot, as on the wings of moths
- architect a window or window-like opening in the outside wall of a building
n. pl. fe•nes•trae (-trē′)
- A small anatomical opening, often closed by a membrane.
- The opening in a bone made by surgical fenestration.
- A specialized opening, as in a surgical instrument.