verb (used without object)
- to swerve or skid from side to side, as the rear end of a car.
- to slow an airplane by causing its tail to move rapidly from side to side.
- such a maneuver.
- a gas burner having two jets crossing each other so as to produce a flame resembling a fish’s tail.
- a device having a long, narrow slot at the top, placed over a gas jet, as of a Bunsen burner, to give a thin, fanlike flame.
- Jewelry. a setting consisting of four prominent triangular corner prongs to hold the stone.
- a step in ballroom dancing in which the feet are quickly crossed
- an aeroplane manoeuvre in which the tail is moved from side to side to reduce speed
- a nozzle having a long narrow slot at the top, placed over a Bunsen burner to produce a thin fanlike flame
- to slow an aeroplane by moving the tail from side to side
- to drive with the rear of the vehicle moving from side to side in an uncontrolled fashion