- the act of a person or thing that fixes.
- fixings. Also fix·in’s [fik-sinz] /ˈfɪk sɪnz/. Informal.
- the necessary ingredients: salad fixings.
- the appropriate accompaniments; trimmings: turkey with all the fixings.
- gold fixing.
pl n mainly US and Canadian
- apparatus or equipment
- accompaniments for a dish; trimmings
- a means of attaching one thing to another, as a pipe to a wall, slate to a roof, etc
“apparatus,” 1820, from present participle of fix (v.). American English sense of “food, garnishing” is attested from 1839.